You can download a PDF version of this, which is concise but lacks some of the detail on this website.
I’m an experienced cross-platform engineer and architect, and enjoy translating business needs and stakeholder concerns into working, integrated solutions. I’m at my best when I’m learning and implementing new technologies and new techniques, and I love helping to develop and refine business processes for efficiency and effectiveness. I’m one of the few IT professionals who understands software development, infrastructure, and business concerns, enabling me to bring great value to cross-functional teams. I’ve always worked closely with my employers’ customers to understand their needs and challenges, and bring their voice into our processes.
Want to know more? Get in touch.
What I’m Seeking
I want to work on a busy, hardworking technology team, for an organization that regards IT as a strategic investment and a mission-critical part of their operations. I want to help design and build systems that actually meet company needs. I want to help maintain and improve existing investments, and I want to help the organization operate a safe and secure environment. I want to help bring new processes and techniques into play when they’re appropriate. I’m happy to work with a range of technologies, and have no “religious” attachments to any particular vendor or platform. I’m happy working on-prem, in the cloud, or both.
I’m active in the broader technology community, particularly in DevOps. I’m a founding participant in Don Jones’ DevOps Camp, a working group of practitioners from around the world who develop best practices in the field.
Another amazing community that I enjoy being a part of, are those of Splunk usergroups and the SplunkTrust, Splunk’s elite MVP community
This is a short list of the things I’m presently working with the most. You can also see my complete list of competencies.
- Splunk and “big data” operational analytics
- DevOps engineering (including transitioning teams from legacy approaches to a DevOps-style footing)
- Virtualization and containers
- Microsoft Windows and Linux administration
- Messaging and collaboration solutions
- Configuration management (procedural and declarative)
- Systems scripting and automation
- AWS and Azure cloud services
- Testing frameworks
- Active Directory and Identity
- RDBMS – SQL Server, MySQL, etc.
- Systems architecture and design
There are a lot of candidates out there. Here’s how I’m different:
- I don’t need to be told what to do from moment to moment – I need to be told the mission, and from there, I’m on it.
- I like people, and I enjoy talking to them and understanding their needs and challenges. I don’t shy away from contact with coworkers or customers.
- “I can’t” is never an answer, nor is, “that’s not my job.” I love learning new technologies, new skills, and new techniques. I’ll adapt to whatever my role asks of me.
- I’m a natural, logical troubleshooter. I don’t just throw possible fixes at a technology problem; I solve the problem by understanding the technology at a deep level.
- I’m a great arbitrator when team members need an understanding, informed, neutral point of view to move past a challenge or block.
Splunk • April 2013 to Present
Developed functional and unit tests, owned build/release engineering, built infrastructure for test environments, software engineering for core engine.
Fisher Communications — July 2012 to April 2013
Owned messaging and collaboration infrastructure, including migrations, daily operations; redesigned intranet; developed collaboration and workflow solutions.
Expedia — September 2011 to July 2012
Infrastructure systems administration; managed operational analytics platform.
Additional Work Experience (to June 2007)
Managed identity infrastructure, developed organizational best practices for IT operations, designed operational automation tools, built and maintained high-availability infrastructure. I’ve also done software and test development, quick-fix engineering, “dog food” deployments, and more. I’m happy to provide additional detail on my prior work history and responsibilities.